Thursday 29 March 2012


Here are Elder Kay's emails from 19th and 26th March - last week I forgot to update the blog.

This week has been interesting. We were at a Samoan birthday party on Saturday and I kid you not I've never seen so much food for that amount of people. It was great as Samoans treat Missionaries with a lot of respect so no one starts eating till we do. There was a whole pig and everything! There were a lot of non members and less active members there we were able to talk to.
 
We bumped into someone we'd been trying to contact for a while on Tuesday and his cousin is the son of a former investigator we were going to contact. His dad was a member so it could be promising. We're also going to do a mission fast to find  families to baptise. Thanks for all those suggestions about service Dad. 

It's interesting to see see peoples responses to us while tracting. I quite like tracting because of the crazy people you run into; also it forces you to become more bold. It doesn't work very well if you're not sure of yourself. I've also learned the importance of the Book of Mormon in testifying because it's the only thing we can claim that is different; if you claim Priesthood authority others claim to have priesthood and it's not something tangible you can prove, if you preach about the plan of salvation people believe they will return to God's presence anyway regardless and if you teach them about prophets prophets they say there are false prophets. I've also been studying Hebrews in response to something someone we tracted into said; turns out he wasn't quoting it correctly or was quoting out of context and he accused me of reading from a bible doctored by my church. Well you cant help it if people aren't open to be taught, it's still sad though. so yeah anyway I was reading in Hebrews and found a great chapter on faith - chapter 11.  

We visited a less active member at Redcliffe hospital (out of our area but we asked for permission to visit) 

Elder Moore and Elder Richards told me they spoke to the Zone Leaders and suggested I go up to Cairns  but I reckon they are joking. It will be interesting to see where I get transferred after training, but that might not be for a while yet so I don't really need to worry about it. We're going to hike up Glass House mountains today for Pday and last week we went 10 pin bowling - it was fun.  

Thanks for all your emails and your prayers hope you are all well. Love to all
 
P.s I  go to the temple on my assigned Temple day it; we go once every transfer so we won't be going for ages!

Hey Guys!!
This week we had interviews with President. I'm not sure if I've told you much about President Langeland. He's so funny and he gives some great trainings. He really cares about the mission and the missionaries and because he's been out for two years he's well experienced. His sence of humour is very dry and when I got off the plane when I first arrived I was kinda nervous cos he looked so serious and didn't smile (I think he did that on purpose) and then at dinner I was the only one that got his jokes hahaha!!!  I enjoyed interviews.
 
The work is certainly picking up but we still don't teach as much I'd like to. We finally had an appointment with someone we met ages ago called Anthony (I think I might have mentioned him) but we also met with his brother and his friend. He's a great guy who has had previous contact with the church. Our first lesson wasn't very long, but we had a member with us and so it broke the ice and I think we could go further. I'm actually really glad Bro Lawton was there as he moved from Townsville (which is where Anthony and his brother spent a lot of time) and he also loves playing touch rugby and stuff so he was really able to relate where me and Elder Richards didn't have much in common with Anthony.  

We are also going to ask and assess what the ward has in place in the way of Missionary work and if it even has a Mission Plan. We had a training on the responsibilities of the ward and stuff and I was surprised at how easy missionary work would be if the ward did everything they should. 

We haven't seen seen Michelle for ages, but I saw her in the mall last week and she said she's still interested. I think every time we've been round we've not been knocking loud enough (we didn't want to disturb her son) as I told her we had been round a couple times and she looked a little confused. 
 
Sorry I've not sent any pictures - the internet's kinda slow in the Library. 

Dad doesn't it always happen that way - you always get a cold after winter. Actually talking of cold, we woke up this morning freezing and it was like 19 degrees hahahaha!. I think it's partly because the air is moving because of the fans and  little air con unit we have but still, I'm not looking forward to coming home to winter, glad its another 21 months or so. 

Love you all I hope you are all well and are making good choices.
 
Byeeeee! Elder John Kay

Spiritual thought: I must apologise I would have quoted directly from the Ensign but I forgot it sorry.
Taken from the March 2012 Ensign of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
 
A general Authority tells of a time when his commitment to the Lords church blessed him and his family. This man was in the American Air Force. Towards the end of the Vietnam war he was posted back and forth so was never in a particular ward for long, but while in Texas he was called to be Elders Quorum President and was promised that if he magnified his calling he would be provided with protection and blessings. One time while flying back from an assignment, stopping off to fuel the other pilot in his two plane squadron asked him to stay the night where comfortable meals and relaxing lying in the next (Sunday) morning would be available, but wanting to be at church for his calling on Sunday persuaded the other pilot to fly on. On approach to landing his waiting wife was prompted to kneel in prayer. As this man banked his plane an engine failure occured and he was forced to fly off course into clouds. Becoming spacially disorientated he was prompted to fly left, bringing him out of the clouds and in line with the runway. Because of his commitment to his calling and his families faith he was able to be provided with the Lords promised protection.
 
The Ensign Rocks and I have a testimony that the Lord blesses those who keep His commandments and their covenants and commitments to his church.

(To read the whole article go to The Ensign)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment